Why should I take UEN Collagen+? What’s different about it?
Our unique formula is currently the only one on the market which contains the combination of 100 mg of Vitamin C, 15 grams of Collagen Peptides, and 40 mg of UC-II® (Type II Collagen), all of which are clinically dosed in line with the latest scientific research. This combination of Collagen Peptides and UC-II® along with Vitamin C can be highly beneficial for fortifying your connective tissue when combined with an appropriate training regimen.
What is collagen, and what is it good for?
Collagen is a protein that is a key component of many systems in our body, including the bones, cartilage, skin, and our muscles. Collagen makes up 30% of the total protein in our bodies. In a reputable study by well-known nutrition scientist Keith Baar, PhD, he noted that supplementation of vitamin-C enriched gelatin in combination with specific tendon-focused training increased collagen type I synthesis in subjects.
What is UC-II® and how can it help me?
There is a significant amount of research that looks at Type 2 Collagen (UC-II®) supplementation and its benefits on joint and tendon health. In a 2013 study by James Lugo et al, the researchers found that after 120 days of supplementation, subjects in the UC-II group exhibited a statistically significant improvement in average knee extension compared to placebo. The UC-II® group also demonstrated a statistically significant change in average knee extension versus baseline. In 2016, Lugo and his group of researchers again studied the benefits of Type 2 Collagen on knee osteoarthritis pain, concluding that UC-II® significantly improved knee function in osteoarthritis subjects by day 180 and was well-tolerated.
When should I take my UEN Collagen+?
For best results, you should take it 45 minutes before training. Research has shown this to be the optimal time to stimulate maximum collagen production.
What type of training should I be doing to build tendon strength?
Research like Baar’s has shown that tendons respond quickly to a load stimulus and don’t need to be hammered with long periods of high intensity exercise to adapt. Optimal dosage for tendon-focused activity was determined to be less than 10 minutes, with 6 hours in between, 3 times per day. That seems like nothing, right? Well in this case, less is measurably more. The “magic” lies in creating just enough of a stimulus, then providing the body with the proper nutrients to be able to recover and rebuild.
Can Collagen+ be taken with any other supplements?
Yes! There are no contraindications to taking other nutritional supplements with Collagen+.
What should Collagen+ be mixed with?
We prefer to mix this with 8 to 12 ounces of room temperature water. Collagen powder tends to clump in colder water and may not mix completely with other beverages. Plus, the flavor is great and should be experienced on its own! You can always add ice after it has been thoroughly mixed if you want.
Do I need to take Collagen+ in cycles?
No, you do not need to cycle it. In fact, taking it over time will yield the best results as some of the benefits are cumulative.
How should I store my Upper Echelon Nutrition Collagen+?
It is best to store your tub in a dry, dark, cool environment.
- Di Lullo, Gloria A.; Sweeney, Shawn M.; Körkkö, Jarmo; Ala-Kokko, Leena & San Antonio, James D. (2002). "Mapping the Ligand-binding Sites and Disease-associated Mutations on the Most Abundant Protein in the Human, Type I Collagen"
- Trč, T., Bohmová, J. Efficacy and tolerance of enzymatic hydrolysed collagen (EHC) vs. glucosamine sulphate (GS) in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis (KOA). International Orthopaedics (SICOT)35, 341–348 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-010-1010-z
- Lugo JP, Saiyed ZM, Lau FC, et al. Undenatured type II collagen (UC-II®) for joint support: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study in healthy volunteers. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013;10(1):48. Published 2013 Oct 24. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-48
- Lugo JP, Saiyed ZM, Lane NE. Efficacy and tolerability of an undenatured type II collagen supplement in modulating knee osteoarthritis symptoms: a multicenter randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Nutr J. 2016 Jan 29;15:14. doi: 10.1186/s12937-016-0130-8. PMID: 26822714; PMCID: PMC4731911.
- DePhillipo NN, Aman ZS, Kennedy MI, Begley JP, Moatshe G, LaPrade RF. Efficacy of Vitamin C Supplementation on Collagen Synthesis and Oxidative Stress After Musculoskeletal Injuries: A Systematic Review. Orthop J Sports Med. 2018;6(10):2325967118804544. Published 2018 Oct 25. doi:10.1177/2325967118804544